Adventures in Online Advertising
– Introduces internet advertising with discussion of the earning potential, cashflow and ethics. The article then provides a series of case studies on specific topics, such as iteratively improving revenue, altering placement, cloaking, use of text or image adverts, and seasonal variations over Christmas.
BarCamp: Living on Virtual Fish
– BarCamp Scotland presentation.
Bill Urschel on Internet Advertising Innovation
– The development of AdECN, its role as an exchange market for internet advertising space, and the future of internet advertising.
De-Analysing Blizzard's Add-On Policy
– Blizzard Entertainment's new add-on policy has been discussed by everyone from Lum to Slashdot. The number of developers directly affected by the change is small, since only a few add-ons are popular enough to be considered commercial ventures. The policy is more significant because it changes a lot of established conventions, and goes to the heart of how Blizzard embraces (or increasingly, shuns) ...
– Elevator adverts are a way of displaying advertisements on web pages. Not for elevators in buildings. The name refers to the way the advert moves up and down the margin of the page, as the reader scrolls up and down. A standard "skyscrapper" advertising block is always visible, right next to where the user is reading. Advertising networks are keen for adverts to be displayed "above the fold" - in t...
Infecting the Ad Pool
– Why publishers have a very low tolerance of malverts (Malicious Advertising), and consequently why it is in the best interests of advertising networks to deal with malvertising before it becomes widespread.