Alex van Someren's Lucky Acorns
– Alex van Someren is one of those rare people, without whom our modern world would probably be a little bit different. From writing the first book about programming ARM architecture, the computer processor which now sits at the core of almost every mobile phone on the planet. To providing the technology that made Secure Socket Layer (SSL) more commercially viable, and helped enable the ecommerce in...
Financing Hyper-Virality in the Clouds
– This article probes the implications of cloud computing for financing very rapidly distributed internet-based services and products. It contains rough, inadequately researched thoughts, sparked from discussions at the recent CloudCamp Scotland. On this page: Cloud Computing Benefits Hyper-Virality Funding and Revenue Models Exploding Intangibles People The Caveat Cloud Computing Cloud computing is ...
Ian McCaig's History of Lastminute.com
– From a stereotypical dot com baby in 1998, to the rapidly maturing teenager of 2010. Covering the problems of merging acquired companies, the need to scale costs, and the change from a public (stock market) ownership to private equity.
Michael Malone on The Protean Corporation
– Michael S. Malone proposes the next iteration of organisational development.
– As I write, the United Kingdom is in the midst of a national election campaign. A month during which politicians vie to confuse the electorate with big numbers. Politics is suddenly ravaged by intangibility, because the national economy is unable to sustain the usual tangible proxies for a better life - "more schools and hospitals" - and because the tangible results of fixing that economy tend to b...
Why We Travel
– If we could eliminate transportation from our daily lives, would we want to? Or do we still need to travel, even if we have nowhere to go? This article explores the desire to travel - to make economically irrational transport journeys. It ponders the apparently unnecessary role of travel in virtual worlds. It considers how travel contributes to immersion within the world, and how such travel can be...