Behind a Royal Wedding
– Observations on the celebrity-family, private-public wedding of Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall.
Gravatars and Identity
– Discusses the limitations of Gravatars, and hints at a future based on game-like automated customisation for forum avatars.
Map of World of Warcraft Online Communities
– Michael Zenke's MMO Blogipelago map [via Tobold], based on the famous xkcd map of online communities, inspired me to create a map for World of Warcraft (WoW) online communities: Map of World of Warcraft Online Communities. The article below explains the logic behind the map. Mapping Communities The map shows internet-based communities whose primary interest is the game World of Warcraft. What's a c...
Thoughts on the Resolution of Nothing
– I ponder nothing. Endlessly. Nothing in the intangible sense - the increasing dominance of things without physical form in society and economy. Nothing in the sceptical nihilistic sense - the "meaninglessness of existence". Even the nothing inherent in the stupidity required for cleverness. Nothing isn't new. The problem baffled thinkers for much of the 20th century. In the 21st we may finally be b...
– In 2007 I wrote some introductory Thoughts on a Socio-Economic Environment based on Nothing. This article continues to explore the value of things in a highly intangible, knowledge-based economy. It wanders through internet-based payment systems, economic structure, role of government, organisation of information, community, and society, before disappearing into the realms of philosophy. It contain...
– Steve Young on the motivations and behaviour of WeeWorld's users, and the challenges of working with 2D WeeMees, particularly as they move into WeeWorld's new virtual (synchronous) world.