Alex van Someren's Lucky Acorns
– Alex van Someren is one of those rare people, without whom our modern world would probably be a little bit different. From writing the first book about programming ARM architecture, the computer processor which now sits at the core of almost every mobile phone on the planet. To providing the technology that made Secure Socket Layer (SSL) more commercially viable, and helped enable the ecommerce in...
Bill Urschel on Internet Advertising Innovation
– The development of AdECN, its role as an exchange market for internet advertising space, and the future of internet advertising.
David Law on Design as a Competitive Advantage
– Summarises David Law's argument for design as a competitive strategy, describing why there is a need to differentiate, his approach to design, targeting of niches, and how to stay ahead.
De-Analysing Blizzard's Add-On Policy
– Blizzard Entertainment's new add-on policy has been discussed by everyone from Lum to Slashdot. The number of developers directly affected by the change is small, since only a few add-ons are popular enough to be considered commercial ventures. The policy is more significant because it changes a lot of established conventions, and goes to the heart of how Blizzard embraces (or increasingly, shuns) ...
Iterative Video Development
– The internet allows products and services to be rapidly improved based on user feedback. So rapid, that iterative design should become the primary method of designing internet-based services. Not just as an Agile-like method of working, but as a method of specifying the product itself. Partly it isn't because creators haven't adjusted their methods to match the new technology - we're still wedded t...
Peeking Into Blizzard's Development Process
– Blizzard Entertainment have a reputation for being "tight lipped", and not announcing details about the games they develop. And since Blizzard have a lot more freedom than the developers that are closely regulated by their publishers, they should be able to talk openly. But having listened to many of their senior developers talk during the recent Paris "WorldWide Invitational", I suspect actually,...
Scottish Innovation: Designs without markets?
– David Farquhar argues for greater focus on marketing and selling in Scottish technology ventures.
Video Games Industry Innovation - Edinburgh Digital Interactive Symposium
– Notes discussing innovation within the video games industry.